The Catholic History of Pretzels & My Favorite Soft Pretzel Recipe

My mind was blow years ago when I found out about the Catholic roots of Tempura and its connection to Ember Days (SEE THE ARTICLE HERE) I was equally surprised to learn of the Catholic history of Pretzels. Read about the history of pretzels over at the National Catholic Register here


I really like eating soft pretzels and I learned that they are not very difficult to make! Here is my favorite Soft Pretzel recipe that uses very few ingredients and only takes around 40 minutes or so to make

Soft Pretzels – 400F 15min -  Let dissolve &whisk -  1.5 C warm water, 2.25t yeast, 1t salt, 1T brown sugar, 1T melted butter. THEN slowly + 4C flour in mixer until not sticky. THEN shape dough (12 pieces) and soak each in (9 C boiling water & .5 C of baking soda) for 20 sec. THEN sprinkle salt. Coat with melted butter & parmesan after bake.

image via Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Pretzels by Mercury Jane -